The City of Brentwood received a donation on Sunday when a team from the 2012 class of Leadership Brentwood unveiled an interpretive sign at Granny White Park. The sign commemorates the original path of Granny White Pike, which differs from the roadway that motorists are familiar with today. The road's namesake, Lucinda "Granny" White, is featured prominently on the sign with a brief description of her contribution to the history of our area.
After her husband died, Granny White traveled from North Carolina to Roane County in east Tennessee in 1801. She was 60 years old by the time she arrived in Nashville, where she operated a cake stand and tar pit for the greasing of wagon axles. She eventually saved enough money to buy 50 acres of land four miles off the Natchez Trace. It is there that she opened her famous Granny White’s Inn, which became known as some of the best accommodations between Nashville and New Orleans.
The old path between Nashville and Franklin, now known as Granny White Pike, was known for many years as “the middle road”. It wasn’t until 1850 that the state legislature created a turnpike company to build the new Granny White Pike, thus memorializing her contribution to the area and its travelers.
The Leadership Brentwood project team consisted of Brentwood Commissioner Jill Burgin, James Horton, Vicki Sanford, Wilson Brimm, and Wes Turner. Funding for the sign was provided by the Rotary Club of Brentwood, Gullett Sanford Robinson & Martin, PLLC, Southern Trophy House, and Vicki Sanford.
For more information about his event, contact Jay Evans, Assistant City Manager, at 615-371-0060.
The City of Brentwood is a AAA-rated full service municipality that is home to a little over 39,000 residents. Known for its beautiful scenery, quality neighborhoods, and the expansive Class-A office park known as Maryland Farms, Brentwood is a major hub for commerce attracting over 20,000 people to work each day.