The Cool Springs House has a long and colorful history. James and Penelope Barfield Carothers built the original two log rooms of the Cool Springs House in the 1830’s located at what is presently the intersection of Mallory Lane and Cool Springs Boulevard. It was later passed to their son, Dr. Robert Carothers. The first of Robert Carothers’ six wives was Martha Jane Crockett, whose family owned the land where the house is currently located in Crockett Park.
The log house underwent major additions and renovations in 1856 and 1870. In 1888, the house was deeded to William A. Jordan, who lived there until 1932 when it was bought by the A.M. Grant family. In 1942, Dr. Charles Robinson, a Vanderbilt nutritionist, purchased the house and remained there for 32 years.
In 1974, John H. and Karen Dunn Noel bought the house. They did extensive restoration work and turned it into a show place. In 1993, the City of Brentwood assumed ownership when impending development threatened the integrity of the house. The City moved the house to Crockett Park, where it has become the focal point of the park’s history preservation area.
The preservation and extensive restoration of this beautiful, historic, Victorian farm house is under the guidance of the City of Brentwood and the Brentwood Historic Commission. Although historically preserved, the house features modern facilities designed to accommodate a variety of events and activities.
The City of Brentwood is very proud of the relocation and restoration of the historic Cool Springs House. This project was accomplished with the hard work and undying efforts of many volunteers. The Cool Springs House is a source of pride to our community and has been preserved for the enjoyment of generations to come.